Fresh snails can be processed or dried in these seven simple steps: How to process or dry snails for export.
- Source for the fresh Snails.
- Remove the shells.
- Clean the snail meat.
- Season the snails.
- Introduce the snails into the Oven.
- Allow to dry for some hours.
- Collect the oven-dried snails.
Snails are very delicious meat that is popularly consumed in Africa and other parts of the world. They are very nutritious and medicinal, they help to fight a lot of negative health conditions because they are great immune boosters. Snail meat is very rich in Protein and other minerals needed in the body.
They also contain minerals like Calcium, Iron, Vitamin A, and other minerals that are needed for the body’s growth and development.
Snail meat consumption has been practiced for many years in different parts of the world. They are widely accepted by many because of the satisfaction derived from them.
The processing of snails can be done in three different ways for consumption which are:
Three common ways of processing Snails for consumption
- Boiling the snails.
- Frying the snails.
- Drying the snails.
Boiling the snails: This is a popular form in which snails are been processed for consumption. The boiling of snails is the fastest method that can be done to prepare snails for consumption and this can be carried out in these simple steps.
Four steps to boiling or cooking snails.
The other way to get snails is to buy them from farmers or market women. This is the best way to get snails because you have the opportunity to order the specific size of the snails you want. Also, buying the snails will save you from the stress of going into the bush to pick them.
After buying your fresh snails, the next step is:
Remove the shells(De-shelling): This is a very interesting part of snail processing. It involves breaking a part of the snail’s shell to be able to remove the meat in the shell.
The removal of the shell can be done in two ways:
- By using a heavy object to crack open the shell and then using an object to pull out the meat. This method can be tiring at times because of the stress of cracking the shell due to its hardness.
- The second method of Deshelling your snails is by boiling the snails. It involves putting your snails in a pot of boiling water and allowing them to heat for a few minutes. This will make the snail shrink a bit and then they can be easily removed when you shake the shell or you pull the meat out with an object like a fork.
How to clean your snail meat
Snail’s meat can be cleaned by following these four simple steps:
- Wash the snails with water.
- Cleaning with Alum.
- Soak in hot water.
- Drain the dirt and rinse thoroughly.
Wash the snails with water: This is the first step in cleaning snails. It involves the use of water to remove every form of particles that have been attached to the snail meat either during the process of deshelling or at any other time. You are to pass the snails under running water and drain off every particle.
Cleaning with Alum: This is done by rubbing the washed snails with Alum blocks. This is done to remove the mucous or slippery substance around the snail meat.
It is a very important process and must be well done or else the slippery content may affect the taste of the meat when consuming it.
The Alum should be rubbed all around the Snail and then rinsed with Water.
Soak in hot water: It is important to soak the snails in hot water to remove every remnant of the slippery substance that is around the snails. This will also help to kill every germ or microorganism that surrounds the snails. How to process or dry snails for export.
The snail’s meat should be soaked in the water for about 5 minutes.
Drain of the water and wash with clean water:
This is the last part of the cleaning process. The hot water should be drained out from the bucket containing the snail’s meat because it may contain dirt and particles that should be discarded.
After draining off the hot water, wash the meat with clean water, and then you can transfer it to be boiled.
READ MORE: How to fry your snails for consumption
How to boil or cook snails
Snails can be boiled or cooked by following five simple steps.
- Prepare the snails.
- Heat the snails in water.
- Prepare your sauce.
- Add the heated snails to the sauce.
- Cook for a few minutes.
Prepare the snails: This has been explained earlier. It involves sourcing for snails, removing the shell, and cleaning the Snail’s meat.
Prepare your sauce: This is a very simple and easy step. Although many say it is a woman’s work or kitchen activity this is what I and many male processors do.
To prepare your sauce, you will need to get some items or ingredients. The ingredients to be used will be based on what is accessible to you.
- Few fresh Tomatoes
- Fresh Pepper
- Vegetable oil
- Grind your Tomatoes and Pepper.
- Grate or chop your Garlic, Ginger, and Onion.
- Add a few Spoons of vegetable oil to a pot or fry pan and heat for a few seconds.
- Slice a small portion of Onions into it.
- Add the grated Garlic, Ginger, and Onions and heat for about 1 minute.
- Add the ground Tomatoes and Pepper and allow to heat for 3 minutes.
- Add a little portion of salt and stir.
- Add one or two cubes of Maggie and stir.
- Leave to cook for about 2 minutes.
- The next steps are explained below.
Add the snails to the prepared sauce: The snails should be added, and allowed to go down into the pot and the mixture should be stirred well.
The mixture in the pot might be thick at this point therefore you may need to add water so that the snail can stay longer on the heat source and cook well.
The snail’s meat will absorb the sweetness of the mixture and in exchange give its sweetness.